As usual for the Christmas time, I am publishing a list of possible wines to enjoy with your Christmas meal. This list is specifically directed to Finnish readers as I select wines from Alko’s list, considering Finnish traditional meal.
Again I remind you of the basic rules with these dishes: pick white or a light red and avoid any big fat wine from warm places.
Today, I will start with a shortlist of great wines from the « Tilattavat » section of Alko. To get these wines, you need to ask for them in your local shop and in general it takes one week up to two (check with them). So it is better order right now 🙂
Red will fit with joulukinku and the different side dishes but it will not match any fish (savulohi or graavilohi) nor the different salads. For these meals, you should aim at a white. With these meal, I advise something balanced and spicy but not too tannic. Among many more possibility, here is what I would pick:
– Tedeschi, Valopolicella Classico Superiore 2010, 919587, 16,76€ : ITALY. Classical, easy drinking and balanced Valpolicella. Somewhat « light ». Will not kill the meal.
– Planeta, Cerasuolo di Vittoria 2010, 930967, 17,99€ : ITALY. Very balanced and full of fruit and spices. Interesting wine to try something new.
– Alfiero Boffa, Barbera d’Asti Storica 2007, 905647, 18,97€ : ITALY. Again, more classical. Delicate, elegant. Smoky with a fresh fruitiness. Very good vintage.
– Remondo Palacios, La Montesa 2009, 927697, 19,84€ : SPAIN. For those who look for more power, this is a good pick. To be decanted at least an hour.
– Luigi Einaudi, Dolcetto di Dogliani 2010, 950927, 21,00€ : ITALY. More on the fruit side than the Barbera. Very direct but will definitely need around two hours decanting.
– Château de Montfaucon, Baron Louis 2009 938097, 22,50€ : FRANCE. Spicy, intense and concentrated. A very powerful vintage from Southern Rhône valley. Also to be decanted.
– Emilio Moro 2009, 914197, 23,80€ : SPAIN. Elegant tempranillo from Ribera del Duero.
– Cono Sur, 20 Barrels 2008, 909747, 24,90€ : CHILE. A very good example of chilean Pinot Noir. Slightly young.
– Alfiero Boffa, Barbera d’Asti Vigna More 2005, 908367, 26,40€ : ITALY. Same as above but higher pedigree. More ready to drink. Very enjoyable.
– Jean-Louis Chave Selection, Saint-Joseph Offerus 2010, 946837, 26,80€ : FRANCE. Saint-Joseph brings up very good Syrah. From an excellent producer of Hermitage… will also age well.
– Clos Henri, Pinot Noir 2008, 953747, 29,50€ : NEW-ZEALAND. An other Pinot Noir. A very good pick to match the ham. Intense fruit but stillvery delicate.
– Remondo Palacios, Propiedad 2008, 941427, 29,90€ : SPAIN. More intense and concentrated than La Montesa. This is a great wine. To be decanted.
– Viña Leyda, Pinot Noir Lot 21 2011, 915727, 33,10€ : CHILE. A very very concentrated Pinot Noir. Modern in style, 100% fruit and oak.
– Domaine de Montcalmès 2008, 912947, 33,10€ : FRANCE. Elegant wine from Southern France. Very intense, very fruity and extremely elegant. The powerful wine for the ladies.
– Domaine Chanson, Viré-Clessé 2009, 924407, 17,95€ : FRANCE. Nice, traditional, slightly oaky Chardonnay but with very good complexity. From southern Burgundy.
– Clos Henri, Sauvignon Blanc 2009, 945367, 24,00€ : NEW-ZEALAND. Very intense and ripe Sauvignon made by a French owner. Kind of a mix between the New World and France. Powerful and fruity.
– Domaine Saget, Pouilly-Fumé 2010, 949317, 24,50€ : FRANCE. A very classy, extremely elegant Sauvignon blanc. Maybe one of the best choice in terms of balance and finesse.
– Markus Molitor, Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spätlese trocken 2007, 947077 28,30€ : GERMANY. A dry and intense Riesling. Very structured. At its best with fish but will match the joulukinkku.
– Bründlmayer, Grüner Veltliner Alte Rebe 2007, 913517, 30,50€ : AUSTRIA. Very good vintage. Aromatic and yet mineral Grüner Veltliner. More powerful in style and more ripe than a Riesling.
– Thevenet, domaine de la Bongran, Viré-Clessé 2005, 911197, 35,10€ : FRANCE. This wine is absolutely stunning but it is very original. Extremely exotic in the nose and more classical in the mouth. Perfect with the various « laatikko » and joulukinkku.
– Newton, Unfiltered Chardonnay 2007, 904037, 43,10€ : USA. Exclusive Chardonnay. Very powerful, large.
– Laroche, Chablis Grand Cru Blanchot 2005, 919077, 59,90€ : FRANCE. A ripe Chablis ready to drink. Elegant and yet powerful, with light toasty aroma.
This post is also available in: Anglais